> #genetics , #biology , #education > Explain the genetics of the crosses by using appropriate diagrams and symbols?
Ndjong Honoré
Apr 9

Explain the genetics of the crosses by using appropriate diagrams and symbols?

When a red flowered plant was crossed with a white flowered plant of the same species all the resulting offspring of the F1 generation were red flowered plant.when one of the F1 offspring was self pollinated 176 red flowered and 64 white flowered plant of F2 generation were obtained.
1 view
1 view

1 answer

Sort By
Apr 9
In genetics, crosses are used to study the inheritance of traits from one generation to the next. The most common type of cross is a monohybrid cross, which involves the study of one trait at a time. In a monohybrid cross, two individuals that are heterozygous for a particular trait are crossed to determine the possible outcomes of their offspring.

To represent the genetics of a monohybrid cross, we can use Punnett squares. In a Punnett square, the alleles of each parent are represented on the top and side of the square, and the possible combinations of alleles in the offspring are shown in the middle of the square. For example, if we were studying the inheritance of flower color in pea plants, where purple flowers (P) are dominant over white flowers (p), a Punnett square for a cross between two heterozygous purple-flowered plants (Pp x Pp) would look like this:

P p
p Pp pp

From this Punnett square, we can see that there is a 25% chance of the offspring being homozygous dominant (PP), a 50% chance of being heterozygous (Pp), and a 25% chance of being homozygous recessive (pp) for the flower color trait.

Symbols are also commonly used in genetics to represent alleles. For example, in the Punnett square above, we used the symbols P and p to represent the alleles for purple and white flower color, respectively. These symbols make it easier to track the inheritance of traits across generations and can be used in a variety of genetic crosses.

Overall, the genetics of crosses can be represented using Punnett squares and symbols to visually show the possible outcomes of offspring based on the alleles inherited from their parents.

Similar Questions


© 2024 - Quanswer