Aural toilet, also known as ear cleaning or ear irrigation, is a procedure used to remove excess earwax or debris from the ear canal. Here are the steps involved in performing aural toilet:
1. Gather necessary equipment: You will need a clean towel, a basin or tray to catch the water, a bulb syringe or ear irrigation kit, warm water (body temperature), and ear drops (if recommended by a healthcare professional).
2. Prepare the environment: Find a quiet and well-lit area where you can comfortably perform the procedure. Make sure you have good visibility of the ear canal.
3. Position the person: Ask the person to sit upright or lie down on their side with the affected ear facing upwards. Placing a towel on their shoulder can help catch any drips.
4. Warm the water: Fill the basin or tray with warm water. Test the temperature on your wrist to ensure it is not too hot or cold. It should be close to body temperature.
5. Administer ear drops (if necessary): If the person has been prescribed ear drops, carefully instill the recommended number of drops into the ear canal. Follow the instructions provided by a healthcare professional.
6. Irrigation process: Gently pull the outer ear upward and backward to straighten the ear canal. Hold the bulb syringe or ear irrigation kit filled with warm water over the ear canal opening. Squeeze the bulb or trigger to release a gentle stream of water into the ear canal. Aim the water towards the side of the ear canal, avoiding the eardrum.
7. Allow drainage: Let the water and debris drain into the basin or tray. You may need to repeat the irrigation process a few times until the water runs clear.
8. Dry the ear: After the irrigation, use a clean towel to gently dry the outer ear. Avoid inserting anything into the ear canal, such as cotton swabs, as it can push the wax further inside or damage the eardrum.
9. Repeat for the other ear (if necessary): If both ears require cleaning, repeat the process for the other ear.
10. Clean up: Dispose of any used materials properly and clean the equipment thoroughly according to the manufacturer's instructions.
It is important to note that aural toilet should be performed with caution and only when necessary. If you have any concerns or if the earwax buildup persists, it is recommended to consult a healthcare professional for further evaluation and guidance.